Re: [Synaptic-devel] Trouble with dependencies?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Trouble with dependencies?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:58:14 +0100

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:05:02AM +0100, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I just noticed something which may be a bug in synaptic. Somehow,
> dependencies seem not to be resolved correctly. I just noticed that
> with the cron-package.
>
> Synaptic shows there's an update from 3.0pl1-77 to  3.0pl1-82
> available. Among the dependencies for this package is this:
>
> Recommends: exim | postfix | mail-transport-agent
>
> "exim | postfix | mail-transport-agent" are also shown by synaptic
> in the Dependencies/Suggestions and Recommendations view.
>
> I have postfix installed on my box. When I mark the package for update,
> synaptic wants do remove postfix and install exim instead. Unchecking
> the "Consider recommended packages as dependencies" box in the
> preferences dialogue takes care of that; nevertheless, synaptic should
> be able to recognize one of the alternatives already is installed.

Thanks for leting me know. This is clearly a bug. If you use debian,
may I ask you to file a debian bug against synaptic? This way, I will
not forget about it. I can't take care of it right now, but I will
definitly for one of the next versions.

Just copy-n-paste your mail for the bugreport, it has all needed
information :)

thanks,
 Michael