Re: [Synaptic-devel] Gtk 2.3.2 with GtkTreeView patch released

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Gtk 2.3.2 with GtkTreeView patch released
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:28:20 +0100

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:51:34AM -0200, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > A major speed improvement of synaptic is finally getting near:
>
> Woohoo!
Indeed :)

> > This is a development release leading up to GTK+-2.4. Changes since
> > GTK+-2.3.1 include many API fixes for new widgets and bug fixes in new
> > and old code, along with various new API enhancements, such as allowing
> > saving a GdkPixbuf to an in memory buffer, and a blazingly fast
> > fixed-height mode that can be enabled for GtkTreeView.
> >
> > [http://gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1609&mode=&order=0]
>
> And Michael has participated in the discussions to improve the speed
> of the GtkTreeView. Thanks Michael!

Thanks Gustavo!

I checked in (r690) the support code for the new fixed-height mode in
the gtk. I also tested it with a fresh build of gtk 2.3.2. It is very
fast which is a really good thing!

The new gtk code has one problem though. Right now when I expand a
row (say "Installed" in the Status View) the h-scrollbar is not
updated correctly. It's much to small and when I scroll down it keeps
geting bigger. I can't reach the top-level items below (like "Not
Installed) until I did a lot of scrolling with a ever updating
scrollbar. I hope all this does not sound too confusing :)

Oddly the scrollbar for the "flat-list" is correct (and the view is
available almost instantly).

I already reported the problem to the gtktreeview maintainer and I
hope this can be fixed before the final 2.4.

bye,
 Michael