Re: [spam] Re: [Synaptic-devel] Opera 7.50?

From: Albert
Subject: Re: [spam] Re: [Synaptic-devel] Opera 7.50?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:41:14 -0600

On Saturday 24 January 2004 12:43, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
<snip>
> I would suggest to just click "install" in the package control area
> or via the context menu :)

Thanks, I'll try that.

> Does Opera ship with SuSE 9.0 or do use a third parity repository?

I installed SuSE 9.0 from FTP.  I have no SuSE disks other than the one
I burned in order to install from FTP.  When I install additional
packages using YAST2 I have no idea where they are coming from.
Synaptic apparently installs from a variety of repositories, but I
haven't yet figured out how to tell where they are coming from either.
So in reply to your question, (1) I have no idea what is on the SuSE CDs
and (2) yes, I must be using a repository somewhere.

I know that I must sound like a clueless dufus.  I just came from a year
and a half of LinuxFromScratch installations.  I have no problem with
compiling/installing tarballs when I know the system intimately.  But
SuSE, YAST2 and Synaptic are just magical black boxes to me.

I had no idea that high level distributions like SuSE and high level
tools like YAST and Synaptic, designed for end users, were so complex
and hard to understand.

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,