Re: [Synaptic-devel] Crash on broken package dependencies

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Crash on broken package dependencies
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:06:20 +0100

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:29:15PM +0100, Alwin Meschede wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> Synaptic fell on my feet today, after a forced downgrade of libasound
> had led to broken dependencies. When Synaptic tried to build up a
> dependency tree, a window popped up saying "Ä?ndencies" (complete crap)
> and I could click on "OK". When starting with "LANG=C", the window says
> "(null)". After that, Synaptic crashed and left "Segmentation fault" on
> the console.

Can you please create a gdb backtrace of the crash? To do this, become
root in a terminal, start:
$ gdb /usr/sbin/synaptic

then type "run" at the gdb prompt. Once synaptic has crashed, type
"backtrace".

Please paste the output and send it to me (or the list). I'll try to
fix it then :)

> The packages in question were libasound (downgraded from 0.98 to 0.96),
> alsa-utils 0.98 and libasound-dev 0.98

Is 0.9.6 a version from testing? How did you downgrade? With synaptic?
apt? Or "dpkg -i libasound2-0.6.6_i386.deb" ?

thanks for reporting this problem,
 Michael