Re: [Synaptic-devel] checkboxes to confirm the upgrade of packages

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] checkboxes to confirm the upgrade of packages
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:50:09 +0100

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Unknown Killer um 09:57:

Hello unknown user,

at first thanks for your comments and input about synaptic. We always
love to hear user feedback.

> 1.
> In the window (titled "Summary") where you click on the button "Show
> details", you can see the packages that are
> going to be updated/installed. You know, where the packages names are in bold
> letters..
>
> I think this list ofpackages should be a table, like the one of the main
> display of Synaptic (where you see rows
> titled "S - Package - Installed Version - Latest Version - Size -
> Description"). This would be clearer than the
> actual display.

This would be a simple replication of the normal main window :) Take a
look at the "queued changes" filter mentioned a little bit later in my
mail.

> 2.
> Too, the first row of this table could be titled "Confirm" and for each
> package that will be uploaded/installed (on
> each line) there could be a checkbox (enabled by default). This way, the user
> of Synaptic could be able to upgrade
> his/her whole system while choosing the packages to be updated and select the
> ones he/she doesn't want to.

There is already a place for this:

1. Queue all upgrades with "upgrade all" or "system upgrade" (depending
on your synaptic  version)

2. Choose the "Queued changes" filter from the "Show:" combobox. Now you
can see all planned changes.

3. Select packages that you don't want to upgrade and click on "No
Change"

I propose this feature because on my Debian unstable, I wanted to
install Grub (the boot loader) and there was 2
> available versions, the 0.93-cvs (which is buggy here (I kept getting stage
> 1.5 errors 18 with it)) and the 0.91-2
> from the debian cdrom.  In the expert tab, I was able to choose this one and
> everything worked fine.
> But now, each time I want to upgrade my system, Synaptic tries to upgrade
> Grub to 0.93-cvs.

-> To permanently exclude packages from automatic upgrades use the
"lock" or "hold" feature (depending on your synaptic  version)

1. Select the package that you want to hold/lock

2. Choose "Lock Current Version and Status"/"Hold" from the package menu

> I hope I was clear in my descriptions (english is not my natural born
> language).

No, problem. English is also not my native language.

Regards,

Sebastian