Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural forms and translation

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Plural forms and translation
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:49:47 +0100

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Slobo um 15:06:

Dear Slobo,

> Please look at sr.po and search for:
> # -bug- plural forms
> (It is only 3 strings now that need work)

The non plural form of "Retrieved %-3lii of %-3li files at %4s B/s - %6s
remaining\n" is obsolete. It should be away after the next code clean
up.

Funny, that Michael missed plural stuff in the status bar :) I will send
him a message on this.

"Installed size" was replaced with "Required space" recently. So it is
no longer needed.

What is with "Newsgroup"? This package section contains software that
make use of the Usenet and the nntp.

> And finally need some explanation about these strings: (I have problem
> translating them cause:

> #: common/indexcopy.cc:51 common/rpmindexcopy.cc:75
> #, c-format
> msgid "Stat failed for %s"

Internal error, no need for translation.

> #: common/indexcopy.cc:89
> msgid "Internal Error: Couldn't fork gzip. Please report."

Internal error, no need for translation.

> #: common/rcdscanner.cc:540
> #, c-format
> msgid "Failed to stat %s%s"

Internal error, no need for translation.

> #: common/rpackage.cc:773
> msgid "package is/will not be installed"

Internal error, no need for translation.

> #: common/rpackagecache.cc:92
> msgid "Internal Error, non-zero counts"

Internal error, no need for translation.

> #: common/rpackagelister.cc:291 gtk/window_filters.glade.h:50
> msgid "Residual config"

A Debian only message: the default remove action does not delete the
configuration files (all in /etc) and user created data (e.g. /var/www
for apachae). The "Residual config" filter shows packages, that still
have data/configs on the system.

By the way: In debian there is also the pruge method (named "remove
including configuration" in synaptic) to also clean config and user
created data.

Residual means something like "left" - perhaps I should replace this
term :) [But this requires change in the current structure of the filter
code]

> #: common/rpackagelister.cc:299
> msgid "Pkg with Debconf"

Also Debian only: There is a generic configuration system (debconf) in
Debian which can be used by every package. This filters shows all
packages that make use of them. You should perhaps translate it is with
"configurable packages".

> #: gtk/window_main_hpaned.glade.h:99 gtk/window_main_vpaned.glade.h:100
> msgid "_Tag Tree"

"keyword" would be a good synonym for "tag". Also debian only.

Regards,

Sebastian