Re: [Synaptic-devel] Bug: synaptic crashing at start up

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Bug: synaptic crashing at start up
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:42:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, José Carlos Pereira Lopes wrote:

Hello

I'm using Synaptic version 0.56.1-4 with SuSe 10.0 and it worked fine until a
couple of days ago when it crashes at start up.
I have the following message when running from a shell:

(synaptic:31238): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET
(widget)' failed
synaptic: rpm/rpmhandler.cc:131: virtual long unsigned int
RPMFileHandler::FileSize(): Assertion `rc != 0' failed.

In order to get more information I run the command "gdb synaptic" and here is
the result:

It crashes within libapt-pkg of apt-rpm, nothing Synaptic can do about it. It fails to read file size of a package from the repository data, perhaps that data is corrupted.

As a first step you might want to try cleaning up your local cache:
# rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*.*
..or replace the path with /var/state/apt/lists/ if the above doesn't exist, and then try updating the package lists again (with apt or from synaptic)

        - Panu -