[Synaptic-devel] TERM not set?

From: Andreas Schmidt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] TERM not set?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 19:50:35 +0100

Hi,

for some time now, synaptic apparently does not set the TERM variable. When it comes to installing new packages, I get the following warning:

*****
WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
*****

Of course, it is quite easy to start synaptic without this warning from the commandline:

*****
TERM=xterm synaptic-pkexec
*****

However, this only works from the commandline. I have a launcher for synaptic on the panel (using current MATE from sid). If I change the command there from

*****
synaptic-pkexec
*****

to the line above, nothing happens -- synaptic won't even start.

Now, I just found out that I can get it to start using the launcher when I edit /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec and set TERM there:

*****
#!/bin/sh
TERM=xterm pkexec "/usr/sbin/synaptic" "$@"
*****

Would it be possible to include this small change in the next version?

Best regards,

Andreas