texi2html

[Texi2html] future of texi2html

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: [Texi2html] future of texi2html
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 00:29:59 +0100

Hello,

texi2html is basically integrated in texinfo. It can still be
built and distributed separately. I think that it would be nice
to have a release if texi2html right now.

For the future, I think that part of the activity should be
done in texinfo. Now how much is still to be debated.

* I think that texi2html bugs, tasks and patches should be closed
  and instead the texinfo ones be used.

* I also think that the texi2html mailing lists should be closed
  and texi2html discussion should happen on the corresponding
  texinfo lists.

* currently the CVS has been frozen, while development continues
  in the texinfo CVS. I personnally wanted the texi2html CVS to
  remain a copy of what happened in the texinfo tree

  http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107259

  Is it important for you to have a separate CVS tree? Or should
  we direct users to usee the texinfo tree and go to the texi2html
  directory within texinfo?

* Should texi2html be installed as part of texinfo make install
  or as part of texi2html make install, or both?

* After the texi2html release, I think it will be time to use the
  GPLv3 in texi2html as part of texinfo. However, at some point
  Derek wanted to retain the GPLv2 license. As I said more than
  once I would accept doing a script that changes the license
  headers of files when doing a make dist in the texi2html directory.
  Is it still an issue?

* should we keep the possibility of a separate texi2html for
  an indefinite time or only for a transitory period? Should
  we do separate releases in the future or ship texi2html as
  part of texinfo?

Does anybody have another comment about the merge in texinfo?

--
Pat