Re: info -> html

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: info -> html
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:21:51 -0700

(Please keep Cyd in cc, since he is not on texinfo-devel.)

    This approach does not take into account manpages.

Indeed, this and other features in standalone Info will need to merged
into Emacs or re-implemented in the new context.  Or something.

Personally, I think the best overall approach would be to reimplement
standalone-info-only features in Emacs, such as the man page lookup.
And command-line options, etc.  It'll be a big job, but at least at the
end of the day, there will only be one program that does the basic job.

The biggest reason I have seen mentioned to keep the standalone Info
viewer is size -- distros don't want to pull in all of Emacs.  But once
it has to understand XML+Unicode+..., I doubt it will make much
difference.

karl