Re: perl 5.18.0 perldoc failure

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: perl 5.18.0 perldoc failure
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 00:26:45 GMT

    patrice> I can't remember what could be the workaround...

With 5.16.3, the result of our perldoc-all make was a top-level menu
like this:
..
* perldebtut::
* NAME debug debugger::
..
* NAME data structure complex data structure struct::
..
etc.

I thought I remembered that you had done something special to make that
happen, avoiding the multiple chapters being simply "NAME".

    export
PERL5LIB=$PERL5LIB:/home/dumas/src/texinfo/contrib/perldoc-all/perl-5.18.0/cpan/Pod-Simple/lib/

I already have 5.18.0 installed and was using it for the processing,
so I think I was doing the equivalent.

I just tried removing all the X<...> constructs from *.pod with
  perl -p -i.bak -e 's,X<.*?>,,g' *.pod
And then processing, and the result looked basically ok.  So that's a
good enough workaround for now, anyway.

    Also, the new Pod::Simple has the support for a handing of =encoding
    more in line with Texinfo.  I am still unsure on how to do it, my
    feeling would be that we should require a Pod::Simple that is recent

I'm ok with requiring a sufficiently new Pod::Simple for this task.
Whatever you think.

Thanks,