Re: "special" spaces in Texinfo parsing and output

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: "special" spaces in Texinfo parsing and output
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:53:27 +0200

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:38:31PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     * in Docbook remove all the ^L as they are not allowed in XML.
>
> Really remove, or escape as in XML?  Either is fine, just want to be sure.

Completly remove. (I guess you meant "or escape as in HTML?").  I
copy-paste the content of an earlier mail I sent while trying to get it
right:

Form-feed is simply forbidden in XML.  Even using xml 1.1 explictely does
not change the problem, although it is claimed that it should, for
instance on:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeric_character_reference#Restrictions

I tested it myself, and found that at least libxml2 as used in
XML::LibXML choke on form-feed, in xml 1.0 and 1.1 be it plain or
escaped as en entity.  Since I have found that DocBook processors are in
general rather picky on their XML input, I think that it is safer. (Now
that I think of it, I should have replaced it by a space not simply
removed it, I'll make that change).

--
Pat