Re: texindex in awk

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: texindex in awk
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 18:11:45 +0000

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> Meanwhile, if you want to try it now, that would be great, of course.
> Just running "make -C texindex" should produce a texindex.awk that can
> be linked to as texindex.  (That's what I'm doing.)  The #! path to awk
> may need to be modified until I do the configure stuff.  Any POSIX awk
> should do; Arnold tested it back to a 1996 awk by Kernighan.
>
> The make is necessary because Arnold wrote it in a literate programming
> system of his own devising, that uses texinfo for documentation, called
> texiwebjr (https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/texiwebjr).
> It's implemented in awk, as might be expected.
>
> Let me know if questions, problems, whatever ...

I figure the ti.twjr file is documentation for itself. I tried
building it with "makeinfo ti.twjr", which didn't work. I tried "make
ti.pdf" and then "GAWK=`which gawk` make ti.pdf". This last command
gave the following output:

/usr/bin/gawk ./jrweave ti.twjr >ti.texi || rm -f ti.texi
gawk: cmd. line:1: ./jrweave
gawk: cmd. line:1: ^ syntax error
gawk: cmd. line:1: ./jrweave
gawk: cmd. line:1:   ^ unterminated regexp
texi2dvi --pdf --build-dir=ti.t2p -o ti.pdf ti.texi
/usr/local/bin/texi2dvi: cannot read ./ti.texi, skipping.
make: *** [ti.pdf] Error 1

Running "make -C texindex" in the top-level directory gave the following:

make: Entering directory `/home/g/src/info-improvements/PROJ_SVN/texindex'
./jrtangle ti.twjr || rm -f texindex.awk
/bin/sh: ./jrtangle: /usr/local/bin/gawk: bad interpreter: No such
file or directory
./jrweave ti.twjr >ti.texi || rm -f ti.texi
/bin/sh: ./jrweave: /usr/local/bin/gawk: bad interpreter: No such file
or directory
texi2dvi --pdf --build-dir=ti.t2p -o ti.pdf ti.texi
/usr/local/bin/texi2dvi: cannot read ./ti.texi, skipping.
make: *** [ti.pdf] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/g/src/info-improvements/PROJ_SVN/texindex'