Re: Using Perl's cc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using Perl's cc
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:56:19 +0300

> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 20:22:10 +0100
> From: Gavin Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I read about a project called "Strawberry Perl". What Wikipedia has to
> say about it looks promising:

That project comes with its own version of MinGW and the rest of the
development tools, which is too much.  I, for one, will never let any
distribution to overwrite my carefully configured and tuned MinGW
development environment: I worked too hard on having that set up.

> It occurs to me that it would be an ironic outcome if, as you suggest,
> the failure to find a satisfactory solution led Windows users to use
> Texinfo 4.13 instead, considering that these XS modules would be
> intended to make it more pleasant to use newer versions than Texinfo
> 4.13. (But if they were using Texinfo 4.13 before, then, of course, it
> would make no difference.)

Ironic as it may be, that is exactly the outcome I would envision.
Sorry.