Re: Using Perl's cc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using Perl's cc
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:47:50 +0300

> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:56:19 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 20:22:10 +0100
> > From: Gavin Smith <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > I read about a project called "Strawberry Perl". What Wikipedia has to
> > say about it looks promising:
>
> That project comes with its own version of MinGW and the rest of the
> development tools, which is too much.  I, for one, will never let any
> distribution to overwrite my carefully configured and tuned MinGW
> development environment: I worked too hard on having that set up.

Btw, even if this problem had not existed, there's still the other,
more important one: the Perl that is being used when the package is
built is a different one from what will be used when the package is
installed.

The MinGW build process uses MSYS tools, which allow to run Posix
scripts and Makefiles to build MinGW (i.e. native Windows) programs.
These MSYS tools, including Perl, use a different (and incompatible)
runtime, so even if the extension could be built, it would not work
for one of the two Perl binaries.  Whereas the design of this feature
most probably assumes that the same Perl is used on both occasions.

I don't see how this basic problem could be resolved, even if we
somehow could make sure all users of Texinfo had Strawberry Perl
installed.