Re: [Texmacs-dev] Mathematics as a drawing; clipboard; a motto

From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Mathematics as a drawing; clipboard; a motto
Date: 01 Aug 2002 19:03:17 +0200

Thanks for replying.

> > Selections
> > -----------
> > The least confusing behaviour for me, concerning selections is, if not a
> > platform specific-scheme:
> >
> > -> implicit copying/cutting goes to clipboard 'A'
> > -> C-c/C-x copying/cutting goes to clipbuard 'B'
> > -> Middle button pastes from 'A'.
> > -> C-v pastes from 'B'.
> >
> > That way everybody get their expected behaviour, plus X11 users have 2
> > clipboards at their fingertips, which is very handy.
>
> Well, I think that would really be most confusing, especially for GNU
> users who are used to some awful mix of conventions *using the same
> clipboard*.

Ok, you're right. Let's do orthogonal keybinding sets.

> Joris say "the convention I like should be the default" and I say "the
> convention used everywhere the GUI is not a mess should be used, and
> your personal preference should be the default". But it does not look
> like I am going to convince him.

I vote for uniform conventions (with the surrounding GUI), so that
people can concentrate in TeXmacs real merits, and not unimportant
oddities.

BTW, I like the current look of the menus, but would not make a case of
it. The best thing I can say is that I like TeXmacs not eating up my
12.1" diagonal (small icons and menu names). My 0.02 eur.

> > ------
> > Absolutely unrelated, I want to state that one of the reasons for me to
> > use TeXmacs is that it is so pleasurable. I insist that a motto might be
> > useful for TeXmacs, either to counter the unfortunate confusion of the
> > name it bears or else to promote it better. As I think that the
> > aesthetical component dominates so much the motivations of both
> > developers and users of TeXmacs, I suggest using
> >
> > TeXmacs. Writing is a pleasure.
> >
> > I hope this will attract many people to TeXmacs, stressing that TeXmacs
> > is to conventional wordprocessors what a stylographic pen is to a biro.
>
> Well... that is kind of a salesman slogan... Yet I like the idea of
> putting the idea of fun in control.

You're right again, but all marketing ideas suck (and you know that if
it was "XML without the pain" it would sell very well amongst
programmers). Nevertheless I vote for stressing that pleasure factor in
TeXmacs.

What's Joris position on slogans? we compiled a little list a while ago
and I showed him, but I don't remember any remarks. I guess when we find
the right one it'll be obvious.

> The topic in #texmacs is currently "Word processing for real geeks".
> That is tailored to the public of OpenProjects.net :-)

:), álvaro.
--
álvaro.tejero.cantero
alqua.com, la red en estudio