Re: [Texmacs-dev] Logical cursor movement

From: Nicolas Girard
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Logical cursor movement
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 01:01:43 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 03:37:48PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > And for M-C, I just need to recall the generalized confusion between
> > Alt and Meta key.
>
> I am aware of this too, but I think that much of the confusion has been
> removed as far as TeXmacs is concerned: if you have an alt key (as found
> by xmodmap) on your keyboard, then it will be mapped to A-, as expected,
> and if you have a meta key or a super (microsoft) key, then it will be
> mapped to meta. I think that this is clean.
>
> However, Emacs itself is not clean: I have tested "emacs &" and
> "emacs -nw" on several systems and noticed that there is no clear
> rule of what modifier key is mapped to M- (and which one to alt).
> On my PC, the alt key is used for meta, which is not very clean.
> Nevertheless, I have been able to make things compatible by mapping
> the microsoft key to meta (instead of super) in my .bash_profile.
> So I now have a TeXmacs and an Emacs which have a similar behavior
> as far as C- and M- combinations are concerned.

I'm not an expert in this field... but after beeing upgraded to Woody at
work, emacs used the Esc key for Meta which i found quite annoying. Then
i discovered emacs was entirely relying on X, and that i had to do a

  xmodmap -e 'remove mod4 = Meta_L'

so the Emacs Alt/Meta key algorithm wasn't fooled into thinking there's
already a Meta key. Now Emacs uses the Alt key for Meta.

So to my mind emacs isn't involved at all here

Nicolas