Re: [Texmacs-dev] getting rid of frequent polling in TeXmacs

From: Amir Michail
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] getting rid of frequent polling in TeXmacs
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:50:08 +1000

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:36, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:09:42AM +1000, Amir Michail wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a simple way to get rid of the frequent polling
> > in TeXmacs used to update the display?  For example,
> > is there an easy way to force the display to simply update
> > after every keystroke instead?
> >
> > The reason we are asking these questions is that this
> > polling is confusing our design recovery tool, DRT.  We just
> > need a simple temporary fix for now, even if the result will be very
> > slow.
>
> That seems a very interesting tool indeed. Can you be more specific on
> the problem you want fixed? Do you want the event loop signal based
> instead of pool based?  BTW: Can we download the tool itself. I can't
> find it in the many links.

Hi,

I believe TeXmacs polls every 0.01 seconds or so to update the screen display.
I'm asking whether the screen display can be updated some other way that
doesn't involve polling.  For example, after each keystroke.  The mechanism
that triggers the update is not important.

The DRT tool is currently under heavy development and is not generally usable
yet. However, we can probably release an early version (under the GPL) by the
end of September.

Amir