Re: [Texmacs-dev] getting rid of frequent polling in TeXmacs

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] getting rid of frequent polling in TeXmacs
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:56:54 +0200 (MET DST)

> I believe TeXmacs polls every 0.01 seconds or so to update the screen display.
> I'm asking whether the screen display can be updated some other way that
> doesn't involve polling.  For example, after each keystroke.  The mechanism
> that triggers the update is not important.

I do not know which polling you mean. There are two types of
"frequent polling": one type is used even when you do nothing.
It is used to see whether extern systems have output for TeXmacs.
These systems may be computer algebra systems, ispell, etc.
It is also used for certain delayed actions.
The second kind of polling is done to check whether there
is new user input during repainting. In that case,
repainting is stopped and the new user input is treated.

So we need to know more precisely which kind of polling
you want to turn of.

> The DRT tool is currently under heavy development and is not generally usable
> yet. However, we can probably release an early version (under the GPL) by the
> end of September.

Cool.