Re: [Texmacs-dev] (no subject)

From: Stéphane Payrard
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:07:53 -0400

On (13/09/02 10:31), Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] (no subject)
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:31:25 +0200 (MET DST)
>

> > > /usr/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: Invalid or unhandled FORM value: 14.
> > > /usr/bin/ld: Dwarf Error: Invalid or unhandled FORM value: 14.
> >
> > You probably need a more recent loader. Searching with google seems
> > to confirm that hypothesis:
> >
> >   from: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg00965.html
> >
> >   FORM 14 is DW_FORM_strp, recently added to GCC.  You need a newer
> >   binutils.
> >
> > Indeed ld is part of binutils.
>
> I never changed "binutils". Can I do this by recompiling
> the most recent version using gcc-3.2 and installing it
> in the same directories as gcc-3.2 (so that the paths will
> take precendence over /usr/bin)?

It depends on your type of linux. On a box using rpm (RedHat,
Mandrake...) , you download the appropriate rpm and do "rpm -U
therpm". Very often there are cross-dependancy, so urpmi is to be
used.  Simlilarly there is apt-get and an higher level tool (don't
know the name) for debian systems.

On other systems, I don't know how ld is upgraded.

> I am sorry to ask these silly questions, but I am quite
> paranoiac about changing system utilities...

Indeed, one can badly break his system.  My strategy when doing
dangerous changes is to have around an active interactive perl (perl
-de 0) with some modules like File::Copy already loaded (in the case
they are binary).

That allows me to repair the broken system without rebooting using a
CD rescue disk (which must be in sync with your system to be able to
repair it)

Unlike other shells, perl is self contained and as result it is still
usable to repair the system even if basic utilities like loader and
libraries are broken.  One have to know Perl though ... And Perl is
not the ideal interactive shell.

--
  stef