[Texmacs-dev] Re: Zope objects through TeXmacs.

From: Nicolas Girard
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Zope objects through TeXmacs.
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:47:21 +0100

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:20:49PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > As to CVS and online publishing, I think that it should be easier to
> > implement direct support for CVS. Nevertheless, CVS is not really great
> > in my opinion.
>
> I do not argue this point. CVS is old and clumsy. But, like many old
> and clumsy things it is stable, well supported and well known.
>
> Have you tried some alternative version control systems?
>
>   - Subversion: http://subversion.tigris.org/
>
>   - PRCS: http://prcs.sourceforge.net/
>
> I can already see you implementing your own "better" version control
> system... That is not a core feature of TeXmacs, we should stick to
> the standard or (if required) use an existing challenger. But we
> should definitely not "roll it ourselves".

Before the flamewar starts again, i'd like to point out something
which hopefully will make you reconciled on this point:

- CVS is great and stable, but isn't simply suited for online publishing
  and distributed authoring

- If one can find the Right Thing (TM) to do the job, then it's
  generally wiser to use it than to reinvent the wheel

- One should if possible "stick to the standard"

Then i think you've already got the Right Thing, and it
is a very promising standard: WebDAV

Taken from http://www.webdav.org/ :
    WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning".
    It is a set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which allows users
    to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web servers.

I had a look at it a while ago and i found it to be a very exciting
and promising protocol ; i immediately thought of TeXmacs at that time...
By the way, subversion should be (or is, already) WebDAV-compliant

Just my 2 cents.
Nicolas