Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Zope objects through TeXmacs.

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Zope objects through TeXmacs.
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:46:22 +0100

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:47:21PM +0100, Nicolas Girard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:20:49PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > > As to CVS and online publishing, I think that it should be easier to
> > > implement direct support for CVS. Nevertheless, CVS is not really great
> > > in my opinion.
> > [...]
> > I can already see you implementing your own "better" version control
> > system... That is not a core feature of TeXmacs, we should stick to
> > the standard or (if required) use an existing challenger. But we
> > should definitely not "roll it ourselves".
>
> Before the flamewar starts again, i'd like to point out something
> which hopefully will make you reconciled on this point:

There are no flamewars here. Only constructive, sometimes heated,
discussions ;-)

> - CVS is great and stable, but isn't simply suited for online publishing
>   and distributed authoring
>
> - If one can find the Right Thing (TM) to do the job, then it's
>   generally wiser to use it than to reinvent the wheel
>
> - One should if possible "stick to the standard"

That is essentially my point.

Though I tend to think that it is better to use a bad standard than
"better" non-standard tools if these tools are not part of the core
functionnality of a project. And it seems that is where there is
sometimes a disagreement.

> Then i think you've already got the Right Thing, and it
> is a very promising standard: WebDAV

I had a look at the FAQ. It seems to be what we need: Distributed
Authoring and Versioning, IETF proposal, widely supported by
proprietary and open source software.

> I had a look at it a while ago and i found it to be a very exciting
> and promising protocol ; i immediately thought of TeXmacs at that time...
> By the way, subversion should be (or is, already) WebDAV-compliant

Several points are still unclear to me. First, I wonder what is the
status of version control in WebDAV. According to their FAQ that seems
to be still a project.

Also a good thing is that it seems to delegate DIFF and MERGE to the
client application, so it may connect to the discussion about using
XMLdiff on TeXmacs documents.

Also, how could that be concretely integrated with TeXmacs?

Thanks for the pointer.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org