[Texmacs-dev] wait window and position markers

From: david
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] wait window and position markers
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 14:36:13 +0100

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:14:39PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > 2. The window that reports on generating fonts is anoying. It floats above
> > everything, and sticks to the middle of the desktop even when you switch
> > desktop, and it has no handles/minimize buttons. Usually, you would want to
> > switch to read e-mail, or browse the web while the fonts are being
> > generated.
> > I would make it a regular window, that pops to the front of the screen, and
> > that's it.
>
> Yes, we want to improve this, but it turns out to be technically
> non-trivial. But this is on the wish-list...

Also note that there is a patch[1] available to simply disable this
window as a preference option.

  [1]
http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?func=detailpatch&patch_id=616&group_id=156

This patch will be included in my personal TeXmacs source releases[2].

  [2] http://ddaa.net/texmacs#patch

> > 3. It seems that TeXmacs autosaves to a file called filename~, every couple
> > of
> > minutes. Usually I would expect the file balled filename~ to be the backup
> > file, i.e. the file before the last save was done. Emacs usually autosaves
> > a file falled #filename#, and when it save to filename, it backs its
> > current
> > contents to filename~
> > That seems reasonable... But I would certainly not use filename~ for
> > autosaves, when I as a user would assume that these contain backups.
> > (autosaves are newer than the file, and backups are older than the file)
>
> Hmm, I forwarded this message to the developers list;
> maybe an item for the wish-list...

I added this on the bug tracker[3].

  [3] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=1918&group_id=156

> > 4. When clicking on the scroll bar, above or below the scroller, I would
> > prefer if the screen moved 1/2 window or a whole window up/down. Currently
> > it
> > seems to move by 3 lines. There are only two ways of quickly scrolling
> > through the document:
> >  a. grab the scroller, and move it with the mouse
> >  b. move the cursor to the left of the text, where it is outside all areas,
> >     and then scroll with page up/down. Otherwise the cursor will get
> > "caught"
> >     in one of the sessions.
>
> Just click with the right-hand button...

I did not know about that before... When left clicking on the
scrollbar, everyone expects page scroll. The small scroll binding is
useful (one does not have to point the scroll arrow), but it should
not be the left-click action.

I suggest these bindings be reversed:

  -- left click: page scroll

  -- right click: small scroll

> > Another possibility is to use some features of the fact that we are dealing
> > with a terminal. I can actually know when R is waiting for more input. That
> > would be good if at some point you plan to incorporate a system that would
> > insert text no at the current cursor position, but at the cursor position
> > when the input was sent to R. I could then somehow tell TeXmacs: this is
> > the
> > output that belongs to input no. 3, this is the output that belongs to
> > input
> > no. 4, and so on.
>
> That sounds good. We indeed plan to add support for this as soon as
> we can remember the position where the output should appear.

Are not "positions" (i.e. markers) already supported in TeXmacs?

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org