Re: [Texmacs-dev] wait window and position markers

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] wait window and position markers
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:44:10 +0100

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 08:18:29PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > Also note that there is a patch[1] available to simply disable this
> > window as a preference option.
> >
> >   [1]
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?func=detailpatch&patch_id=616&group_id=156
> >
> > This patch will be included in my personal TeXmacs source releases[2].
> >
> >   [2] http://ddaa.net/texmacs#patch
>
> Yes, but what we really need is displaying the message in the status bar,
> in red on yellow colors in order to attract the attention.

Indeed, that would be better. Yet this patch is a convenient
workaround in the meantine for knowledgeable users.

Actually, we also need more. The TeXmacs window should be repainted
during long operations (font compilation, documentation aggregation,
exporting, downloads). Maybe that could be done using some feature of
Xlib, but maybe that will require using a separate thread to handle
repaint (and additional operations, like window resizing).

For generic long operations, we could display a spinning progress bar
(with yellow and black angled stripes) in the footer or an animated
"spinnig pizza" cursor, but *that* would definitely require a separate
thread.

I understand that multitreaded programming is difficult, but maybe you
could include some minimal support (with heavy synchronization most of
the time) in the TMGUI API.

> > I suggest these bindings be reversed:
> >
> >   -- left click: page scroll
> >
> >   -- right click: small scroll
>
> Done.

Great.

> > > That sounds good. We indeed plan to add support for this as soon
> > > as we can remember the position where the output should appear.
> >
> > Are not "positions" (i.e. markers) already supported in TeXmacs?
>
> Yes, but not for sessions.

I am curious. I though that markers worked in a general way in the
document tree thanks to the fundamental edition operations (assign,
remove, insert, split, join, ins_unary, rem_unary). Since sessions are
part of the document tree and (probably) modify the document using
these fundamental operations, marker should work with sessions too.

What am I missing?

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org