Re: [Texmacs-dev] Performance issue and crash

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Performance issue and crash
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:19:47 +0100 (CET)

> I am currently writing a book with 20 or so included documents and one
> master. The final document has ca. 100 pages.
>
> I am working on a rather slow notebook with a 600 Mhz Transmeta
> Chip. I must say that it is nearly impossible to work on the
> master. When I insert a new headline tm is irresponsible for
> seconds.

I agree that this is very slow. You may try to edit the master
in preamble mode (I don't remember whether this helps, but it could).

> And updating the master makes tm crash.

That is a bug. What happens exactly? If you dare to send me your
manuscript :^), I can try to fix that.

> I am using 1.0.2-6 on debian unstable.
>
> I have access to a 2.6 GHz machine and will try performace there when
> I have time. But anyway I think tm is too slow regarding working on
> included documents.

I know. I personally do the following: create a quite stable master
document and edit the individual chapters. If I want a change in layout,
then I do it on the master document or, even better, in the style file.