Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available

From: Andreas Seidl
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] preview: cygwin packages available
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:27:55 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, David Allouche wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 06:45:27PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Andreas Seidl wrote:
> > > At the moment, I see no reason to include files to the distribution, as
> > > they would be replaced for packaging by newer files. And adding them as a
> > > patch is (1) easier for me than updating them beforehand via cvs and (2)
> > > consistent with what I do with other packages (there is only one so far).
> >
> > Yes, but this will oblige you to change several things for every
> > new version. Instead, we could proceed in a similar way as for rpms and
> > let the configure script automatically construct the appropriate
> > setup files. Another advantage is that the setup files become public,
> > so other people may learn from them, or help with the maintainance.
>
> I agree with Joris on that point. All packaging magic should be inside
> the distribution, it is a good thing not only because it allows other
> people to learn and contribute, but also because it makes it easier to
> build custom packages from development versions. BTW, this also holds
> for debian, it would be nice if the ./debian/ directory were included in
> the distribution.

David, due to your mail I understand now what the point is, and I agree
that eventually this might be worth considering. However, unless my
package is accepted and therefore the process of generation is foreseeable
stable, and unless there are developers, which use windows and have a
strong interest in it beyond "wow, this is cool concept, let's have it",
I'm not going to waste any time and thoughts on it.

Andreas.
--
http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~seidl