Re: [Texmacs-dev] Nonbreaking spaces (was: Publishing TeXmacs documents)

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Nonbreaking spaces (was: Publishing TeXmacs documents)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:14:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> Earlier in
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texmacs-dev/2004-08/msg00039.html
>
> I pointed out that the only way to make TeXmacs recognize
> a nonbreaking space correctly in both the exported latex
> file and in TeXmacs itself was to put \nobreaks both
> before and after the space.
>
> I find it unergonomic to have to type space M-/ every time
> I want a nonbreaking space, so I patched my personal
> copy of kbd-emacs.scm to make M-~ insert a nonbreaking
> space, implemented this way.
>
> (Since M-~ and A-~ are equivalent, there is no
> functionality lost by this change.)
>
> However, there is still a problem. In TeX, the ~ is not an
> exact functional equivalent for a space combined with a
> nobreak.
>
> The usual way in TeX to abbreviate ``page 5'' is p.~5.
>
> If you tex the following two statements, both suppress
> line breaking after the p., but the second gives correct
> spacing. Without it, TeX assumes that the period ends the
> sentence and inserts some extra space.
>
> p.{\nobreak} 5
>
> p.~5

In the CVS-version of TeXmacs, I added a macro "nbsp" for
non-breakable spaces. You may type them using "space tab" and
they are correctly exported to LaTeX. The width of the space
does not depend on the previous character, so as to address
the problem with p.~5.

I guess this solves all your problems.

Best wishes, Joris