Re: [Texmacs-dev] improved Reduce interface

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] improved Reduce interface
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:34:42 +0600 (NOVT)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Andreas Seidl wrote:
> http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~seidl/public/bin/reduce.tar.gz
I've tried to use this interface.
I have a recently-installed REDUCE-3.8 and TeXmacs-1.0.4.5 on Gentoo
Linux.

This is what I've done:
1. Corrected my .reducerc as suggested in README
2. Copied bin/tm_reduce to /usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin/
3. Copied the whole tree to /usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/reduce
4. Corrected weird permission bits (in reduce.tar.gz, permission bits seem
to be copied from /dev/random :-)
This is what I have:
1. There is no "Reduce" in the menu under the icon which looks like a
computer. I have reduce in my path, and it works.
2. If I choose "Other", Session type "reduce", session name "default", I
get the following message at the bottom of the window:
plug-in 'reduce' not declared

What am I doing wrong?

Another thing that bothers me. In the directory install of the plugin,
there is a long file tmprint.red. It is, clearly, a copyrighted material,
and not under the GNU GPL license (or am I wrong?) It does not seem
appropriate to distribute it in the GNU TeXmacs tarball. All files in it
are free software, and most are covered by GPL (Joris, am I right?)
This is exactly the reason why I distributed only patches against
fmprint.red: of course, these context diffs contained some files from the
proprietary program fmprint.red, but I hoped that this is not a big
violation. Those few lines could not be used for anything, except for
applying the patch by a legal user of REDUCE. Now we have a complete file
tmprint.red. Do we have permission of all copyright owners (A.C.Hearn
etc.) to distribute it?

I hope these problems will be solved, and the new, better REDUCE interface
will be distributed with forthcoming versions of TeXmacs.

Andrey