Re: [Texmacs-dev] address@hidden: Re: Association]

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] address@hidden: Re: Association]
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:51:23 +0100

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 11:18:27AM -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Fascinating idea! I'm familiar with OFSET's main product, FreeDUC. I
> don't remember whether it has TeXmacs on it or not, but I used it to
> great success last spring in our company's "Take Your Child To Work Day".
>
> I would certainly join an association for scientific software, although
> it isn't at all clear how much time I'd have available to contribute
> beyond my normal "beta testing" of R, TeXmacs, Axiom, Maxima and the
> other packages I use frequently.
>
> One other note: anyone who is at all interested in free as in speech
> scientific software should check out Dirk Eddelbuettel's Quantian distro at
>
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/

Yes, I know about this initiative; TeXmacs is part of
this distribution, by the way. Notice that there are some
other initiatives of the same kind (see the Knoppix CD page
on our website).

> Maybe a "Quantian Foundation" would be a good start.

I don't see why the association should be called that way:
making a compilation of freely available software seems
the easy part to me. The difficult part is to develop software.
One of the main purposes of the association would be to help
financing such developments. This does not withstand that
Dirk Eddelbuettel might be interested to join our effort.

Best wishes, Joris