Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts in texmacs

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts in texmacs
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:46:13 +0100

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:57:28PM +0100, Magnus Ekdahl wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts in texmacs
> >      (Joris van der Hoeven)
>
> >What version of TeXmacs? New versions should be shipped with
> >the extra fonts package, so font generation should be less frequent.
>
> TeXmacs version 1.6.0(-1). I think this is not a bug in texmacs, but rather
> a case where texmacs reveals a bug in mktexpk. While extra fonts solves the
> problem from texmacs point of view, I will be extra happy if I can make
> sure we fix the error in mktexpk also :)

Sure.

> >Also, fonts are now generated in ~/.TeXmacs/fonts, because of
> >problems with permissions on several systems.
>
> This behavior puzzles me, since you referred to redhat and fedora, which
> should follow the file hierarchy standard. Do you remember what versions
> that caused the problem?

I think problems started with RedHat 7.3. The problem is that
the place where newly generated fonts should be stored is only
writeable for root.

> >By the way, I recently saw TeXmacs 1.0.6 on some Debian system and
> >it seemed that it did not depend on the extra-font package.
>
> We are investigating the how to package these fonts in a similar manner as
> all the other programs in debian.[0]
>
> 0.
> http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s11.8.5
>
> >Ralf: do you already provide a Debian package for the extra fonts?
> >You may also put them in TeXmacs-common.
>
> Ralf will be back from a vacation no earlier than 22/1. Meanwhile I
> (comaintainer) am trying to work out how the fonts should be packaged. This
> will greatly be helped if you can answer some questions :)
>
> Does TeXmacs in any way access type1 fonts through X protocol requests?

No, never. I only rely on FreeType.

> If yes:
>    Can you estimate what needs to be done with TeXmacs to make it use the
>    Type1 fonts without knowing where they are located? (i.e. sysadm should
> have the freedom to put fonts at some remote location)

The font selection and location problems should indeed be dealt with
in a better way at a certain point, independently from the use of X/FreeType.

> If no: (more non-intrusive, although perhaps uglier packaging)
>    Can write where the fonts are from, so we can estimate the probability
>    that some other program will access the same fonts through some X protocol
> request in the future.

All extra fonts were generated by myself from the .mf sources
using the mftrace program. In the even larger Windows fonts package,
I also copied the Bluesky and a few other fonts from TeTeX and MikTeX.

Best wishes, Joris