Re: [Texmacs-dev] compatible versions of Maxima / TeXmacs

From: Gregory Wright
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] compatible versions of Maxima / TeXmacs
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:25:22 +0300

Hi,

On Apr 4, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Robert Dodier wrote:
I wonder what makes Maxima compatible or incompatible with TeXmacs.
There have been reports that Maxima 5.9.3 doesn't work with TeXmacs.
Are there some changes in Maxima which make it incompatible,
or is it just a matter of adding 5.9.3 to the list of recognized versions?
Is there a simple way for users to patch their TeXmacs installation
when they upgrade Maxima?
Yes, there is. 3 files in TeXmacs distribution should be updated. Recently I posted these files to the texmacs-dev mailing list. They should be in the list archive.

As for myself, I find that TeXmacs 1.0.5 won't work with Maxima 5.9.3 -- TeXmacs appears to launch 5.9.3 if I select "default" from the list of
Maxima sessions, but the status bar says "[dead]". Should I expect
1.0.6 to work with 5.9.3 ?
No, TeXmacs-1.0.6 will not work with maxima-5.9.3. These 3 files should be replaced by the updated versions.

The darwinports build of TeXmacs applies these updates as patches,
so it works with maxima 5.9.3.

I tried it over the weekend and it worked without trouble.

Best Regards,
Greg

I hope this change will happen in the nearest release of TeXmacs. However, Joris is surely very busy now, so, I don't know when the new version will appear.

For now, just replace 3 files in TeXmacs (any recent version) by the ones which I sent to this list.

By the way, this is not so for Windows. We really need at least one person who knows Windows to port this interface to this OS. As far as I know, TeXmacs under Windows can only interface with maxima-5.9.1.

Andrey