Re: [Texmacs-dev] savannah outgage

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] savannah outgage
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:54:07 +0200

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 09:39, Gubinelli Massimiliano
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a copy at work and other twos on my laptop. But only of the
> TeXmacs/trunk/src directory. Is it possible to recover the full history from
> a working copy?

No, it is not possible with Subversion.

If you want protection against loss of history data in case of server
failure, you should investigate one of the distributed version control
systems.

They would also give you protection against single point of failure
(no one needs a central server to make checkins), better branching and
merging, and better version control for peripheral contributors who
have no commit right to the central repository.

There is a minor holy war going on about which one to choose, here is
my order of preference:
1. Bazaar http://bazaar-vcs.org/
2. Mercurial http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/
3. git http://git-scm.com/