Re: [Texmacs-dev] Full history backed up in my GIT repo (Re: Savannah ou

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Full history backed up in my GIT repo (Re: Savannah outgage)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 06:56:26 -0700

> I have no idea whether there is a straightforward way to reimport the
> history into the SVN repo. It would definitely be an idea to consider
> taking this occasion to over to GIT, mercury or bazaar. I have been
> working with git for some time and find the simplicity of branching and
> merging a huge benefit in every-day project management over SVN.

We converted the CVS repo for GNU Go at Savannah to git
at the time GNU Go 3.8 was released (this year). Once
this is done, there is still a way to allow CVS
access. The fact that git is a distributed VC
has considerable advantages. I doubt if anything
was lost with GNU Go. There probably wasn't anything
committed since the Savannah backup, but if there was,
the person that did the commit has a full repository.
Moreover, when you clone the repository you can
instantly produce any version of GNU Go since 3.0.
(Whether it will build without tweaking with current
gcc is another matter.)

I can highly recommend either git or mercurial.
Mercurial has one huge advantage is that it is
easy to get to love mercurial queues as a
better way of working. I guess similar tools
are available for git but unlike mercurial they
are not built in and I haven't tried them.

Dan