Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:42:48 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 06:31:54PM +0100, Norbert Nemec wrote:
Actually, I have to reconstruct this myself from the pieces that I remember. It has been some time since I created this patch. It was in my private repository ever since.

As I see it now, fontenc should actually not be needed at all any more. I first put it in to correct the problem which I later solved cleanly by completing the translation table for CorkT1.

As it is, the latex converter simply assumes that everything is either CorkT1 or cyrillic. The former is now completely converted to catcodes. I have no idea about the latter.

This means that exported latex files should never contain any non-ascii characters (except in the case that they are defined in the header). fontenc should therefore never have any effect at all (except for correcting the.. hyphenation within latex).

This is all theory based on vague memories, but it seems to fit together now...

OK, so this means that I can go on and apply your patch
without the line concerning fontenc. In principle, LaTeX files
should never contain non-ascii characters indeed, except if
the user enabled catcodes in headers in the conversion preferences.
In this latter case, your patch still works fine? Please confirm
by trying on a relevant example which you probably have somewhere around.
Indeed, I checked this yesterday. Works fine for me.