Re: [Texmacs-dev] Interface for FriCAS

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Interface for FriCAS
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:15:32 +0700 (NOVST)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, Alexander Solovets wrote:
I used to write here about experimental FriCAS interface for TeXmacs
and included plugin sources. Now, when new version of FriCAS has been
released, I'm kindly asking you to include this plugin in the main
TeXmacs repository in order to let users test it properly.
I second this suggestion. The plugin works with the recently released version, fricas-1.1.2 (and will work with future versions, of course).

While we are at it, I'd propose to clean up some old cruft in plugins.

If we remove support of paleolithic versions of maxima, the plugin will become much simpler (neolithic versions will be still supported). There will be no maxima_filter, and the scripts will become shorter and easier to maintain. There is a more practical reason for this, too: some time ago, it was reported that on MacOS, when maxima is installed from some standard repository, the maxima script does not contain the string 'list-avail', and thus the current script classifies it as a paleolithic version. And the interface does not work.

MuPAD is dead for quite some time. And I doubt that the mupad plugin which is currently distributed works with the latest MuPAD which existed. It worked with some older version. Maybe, it's better just to remove this plugin? If not, we should fix a "security" problem in it: the script sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrong way, and if the user had an empty LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling this script, there is a (theoretical) security risk. I'm sure nobody uses the mupad plugin, and the risk is purely theoretical. But if we want to keep it, it needs a 1-line patch which fixes the problem. I know this line.

I am surprised people still manage to use the mathematica plugin. Much has changed in mathematica, and now using it requires a lot of extra effort. I suppose it should be fixed, but I don't have mathematica on Linux, and I cannot do this. If some users still manage to run it, let it stay here.

Andrey