Re: [Texmacs-dev] Python Plugin Information

From: David E. Miller
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Python Plugin Information
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 00:12:06 -0400

Adrian:

The TeXmacs version I am using under Linux 1.0.7.15 has adequate help for the Python plugin. The TeXmacs version I was using when I wrote the message below did not. Your help about the plugin was exactly what I had in mind when I wrote the comments below about creating a help page. I was not aware at that time of your contribution. No action is necessary on my part. The latest MS Windows version of TeXmacs also includes your help for the Python plugin, but the entire help system appears broken due to some security access setting/issue that evidently was overlooked during the packaging of the MS Windows version: no read access for the help files. I copied and changed the access permissions for your Python plugin help and it is the same as the Linux version as far as I can tell. Thanks for your time devoted to providing this.

I agree with you about the prompt change that I had considered. You are correct about the implication that would be involved. I thought about that after I had looked at the tm_python code and realized how it worked. This change would have been a bad idea in retrospect. However, I did gain some insight into the TeXmacs plugin mechanism as a result, so all was not lost.

For your information, I have thrown enough Python at the plugin to say with confidence that it works as intended without any significant anomalies. I even was able to access GNU Octave using the Oct2Py module and threw  all the test code of the project site at the Python plugin and it worked without any notable concerns. The only issue I would note for users is that using Python to access plotting may not be the best choice since there is little control over the resulting interface used by the various plotting systems. Thus the plot may appear in a window as expected, but without any method to save the plot from that window to say EPS, etc. I was able to save some plots to EPS using a little trickery as a workaround, but this was not worth the effort involved in that it is easier to use a different program to generate the plots and then either insert them as a image into TeXmacs or use the ps_out method which worked without any issues as long as the user knows how to scale the image. I intend to try using Matplotlib and some others also to see how they respond through the plugin.

Thanks again.

David Miller