Re: [Therion] Bugs in SVG output

From: Martin Budaj
Subject: Re: [Therion] Bugs in SVG output
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:37:48 +0200

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:33:41 +0100, Wookey wrote
> I just tried exporting terikan.svg instead of terikan.pdf. It works pretty
> well and the inkscape viewer is faster than PDF viewers, although it
> does not do transparency.

Transparency support in current SVG specification isn't sufficient for
therion, so transparency is completely omitted in SVG output. Therion needs
transparency knockout groups, which should be implemented in SVG 1.2 version.

> However there are some problems with the output (at least in my
> viewer). The ater area in the top left (pink, "Beaufort Straights")
>  has not been clipped by the central wall, but this comes out OK on

I didn't check it but it seems to be an old problem with path orientation. PDF
now uses even-odd rule for clipping which eliminates the problem. So does the
SVG, but it's possible that viewer ignores the rule. Try reversing the wall if
it helps.

> the PDF. Also the text labels have problems. Text overlaps itself
> and is truncated - e.g we get "Elevato" instead of "Elevator", and
> the two words of "Menagerie Cave" overlap.

SVG doesn't embed fonts yet. If you want to display them correctly, install
all the TeX fonts where the system (and SVG viewer) finds them.

> Perhaps most seriously the Legend is entirely missing.

As Stacho mentioned, it's not reasonable to try to render the legend in SVG
directly. We considered using html envelope where the legend would be defined,
but there is other problem: therion would need to create one SVG file with
map, one HTML file with header and legend and a lot of small SVG files - one
for each map symbol in the legend. XHTML makes it theoretically possible to
merge svgs and html into one file, but no of my browsers displayed the test
file correctly. Has anybody experience with mixinf html and svg in one file?

Regards
Martin