tiger-user

Re: [Tiger-user] Feedback: loading TIGER 2.2.4p1 on HP-UX 11.11 (long)

From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña
Subject: Re: [Tiger-user] Feedback: loading TIGER 2.2.4p1 on HP-UX 11.11 (long)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:45:26 +0200

Bob Hall wrote:

First I wanted to thank the author of the TIGER package for making
it available. The output has been valuable to me and I'm sure that
I can make good use of this product.

Nice to hear that.

I just finished modifying and packaging up TIGER 2.2.4p1 so that
it will run properly on our HP-UX 11.11 systems, and I thought it
might be beneficial(?) to relate my experiences.
Of course, one of the things that Tiger needs is more stress-testing on some platforms.As a matter of fact, many of the changes currently in the CVS (but not released as a tarball, will be the tiger-3.0.1) include a lot of fixes after testing 3.0 in Solaris.

My philosophy in
doing so is to package the product in such a way that it produces
a minimum of messages when run on a 'clean' system. I.e. I set up
a system that has our baseline configuration, and I wanted it to
produce a minimum of notes, warnings, and errors. As a result,
I'm sure that some may disagree with some of the shortcut methods
I used. But the goal was to produce output for a novice SysAdmin
that would not cause concern about the base install. Eventually I
want to modify the baseline install so that many of these measures
are not needed.

I will take a look at all the changes carefully to include them in the latest codebase. I can't promise that all will be accepted but (after a quick look) I can grant you that most will be there. In any, case, an appropiate patch (diff -uR from the original sources against your changes) sent as an attachment would be also very much appreciated.

Regarding messages on a 'clean' system, Tiger will not probably in the short run be able to filter all of them for every operating system. Some issues might be flagged as false positives for some sysadmins (but considered by others, depends on your OS). One of the nifty things about the current codebase (IIRC 2.2.4p2 includes it, or at least the Debian packages) is the 'differential runs' functionality (this is done by 'tigercron' [1]).

Thanks.

Thanks to you, that's a most valuable input. I will include this information in the CVS for the next release. If you are brave enough to test also Tiger 3.0 on HP-UX I would appreciate it very much (I would recommend using the CVS sources currently, however, they have nice autoconfiguration features so you can run tiger on its own directory and not need to install it in the system).

Best regards

Javi

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/tiger/tiger/tigercron