Re: [Tinycc-devel] Annoying new warning

From: Vincent Lefevre
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Annoying new warning
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 11:26:59 +0200

On 2017-05-03 11:39:16 +0200, grischka wrote:
> Interesting.  Obviously I removed the suppression of some warnings,
> among them "uninitialized" ;)  See the change in configure:
>
>     -W_OPTIONS="deprecated-declarations strict-aliasing pointer-sign\
>                 sign-compare unused-result uninitialized"
>
>     +W_OPTIONS="pointer-sign sign-compare unused-result"
>
> Yeah, it helped.  Thanks for the all the hard work, after all ;)

IMHO, -Wuninitialized is very useful (as opposed to
-Wmaybe-uninitialized, which may give false positives).

> PS: As already suggested it appears that the function can simply
> be #ifdef'd out, for ARM that is.

The #ifdef may be the best solution as potential issues would be
detected at compile time. Alternatively, you can add an assert on
the sizes. This should make the -Wuninitialized warning disappear
(otherwise this would be a bug in GCC; if GCC isn't smart enough,
it should emit the warning only for -Wmaybe-uninitialized).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <address@hidden> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>