Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 14:57:20 +0200

A non-maintainer, here are my 2c:

As a matter of style, I like this idea but:
- tcc is probably already the smallest C compiler that compiles a decent C
compiler
- as you probably noticed, there is not a huge activity on tcc these days and I
personally prefer than one spent time on something immediately useful for tcc
core, like C11 support.
- changing code that works is risky because we must ensure nothing is broken
and tcc tests suite is far from complete (not counting the fact that we have no
platform regression tests)
- it's a common practice for a compiler X to be compiled by itself. This has
the advantage to test more code combinations it is supposed to support.
- it will introduce gratuitous diff that will make harder to identify real
regression

That said, and especially because the lack of a decent non-regression tests
suite, I personally vote against your proposal.