Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping

From: u-jps5
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 13:24:19 +0200

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:34:15AM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 27.09.2017 06:55, Christian Jullien wrote:
> > 1) fully supported on Linux on x86/x64/arm/aarch64
> > 2) fully supported on Windows x86/x64
> > 3) Unclear or not fully supported on *BSD and macOS, My different attempts
> > on FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD all failed from one reason or another
>
> For NetBSD we need compiler builtin for va_list:
> Without this we cannot use TCC with our native headers.

Generally, the native headers do not have to be used.

As a workaround it is possible to use tcc on NetBSD via LinuxABI
with a C library like musl, with clean, not kernel-specific includes.

Even natively on NetBSD we could still use tcc, as long as the actual
kernel keeps backward compatibility with the version which we target. We
would have to use our own custom headers expressing the correct ABI in a
suitable fashion, like musl does on Linux. This may be hard but possibly
not very hard,

Rune