Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 06:55:29 +0200

I have the impression that this discussion is more philosophic than
pragmatic.

Today tcc compiles and runs on limited number of systems/processors which
are AFAIK:

1) fully supported on Linux on x86/x64/arm/aarch64
2) fully supported on Windows x86/x64
3) Unclear or not fully supported on *BSD and macOS, My different attempts
on FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD all failed from one reason or another

On source code I see also C67 but I have seen no discussions on it for
years.

That said, for 1, 3, standard C compiler that comes with OS supports C98 for
nearly 20 years.
For 2, VC++, clang, gcc, mingw32, Cygwin support also C98 for nearly 20
years.

As tcc developer time and resources are limited, except for the fun, who can
tell me a **real in use system** that needs to bootstrap tcc with a C
compiler that only accepts C89?

Of course, when compiled, I fully agree that tcc should accept C89 to
support legacy code that no one wants to change.

If one finds, *still in production*,  a very exotic system that supports
only C89, the solution is to cross compile tcc on, says Linux, then use this
version to bootstrap tcc natively. For years, gcc has the nice feature to
make Canadian cross-compilation that I once use to generate a working gcc on
Solaris sparc from Linux x86.

So my conclusion is that I see no reasons to limit ourselves to C89.