tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] DXpedition CD wishlist

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] DXpedition CD wishlist
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:11:18 -0600

* Rein Couperus <address@hidden> [2004 Dec 03 19:21 -0600]:
> OK, I will try a XFCE disk...

I had never played with XFCE until today when I burned the Morphix
0.4.1 GUI-Light ISO.  IMO, I find it very foreign to the OS/2/Win95+
interface.  Both KDE's default WM and IceWM (along with others) give a
menu button at the left end of the taskbar which has become (like it or
not) a defacto standard amongst computer users.  I don't find an analog
in XFCE and I don't expect hams familiar with Windows to try clicking
on the desktop looking for a program menu, except to adjust screen
settings (has XP changed this?).

If I understand correctly, the DX-pedition CD is aimed toward making
TLF easy to use for a non-Linux system user.  With that in mind, I
believe the desktop should have a basic interface that is familiar to
the majority of the operators that will use it.  KDE fits this
requirement well but can be a bit "heavy".  XFCE, with the
configuration on the Morphix CD, won't be intuitive for these operators.
If it can be configured differently, it will probably be a useful
option.  Otherwise IceWM is a lightweight Window Manager with a
familiar interface.  How easily Morphix lends itself to loading an
alternative WM I've yet to investigate.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of