toon-members

Re: [Toon-members] Template Return Function

From: Georg Klein
Subject: Re: [Toon-members] Template Return Function
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:36:33 -0800

On 9 Jan 2010, at 08:32, Gabriel Nützi wrote:

Hello all,...

I have a question which I could (with my bare knowledge about templates) not solve

I would like to have a TooN function which does the fallowing

template < int N, typename Base > Matrix< 6 , N , double, Base> myFunction( int a ) ;

What I would like is to have as a return value a matrix which size is defined in myFunction()....
and an assignment like this some how

Matrix<6,Dynamic,double> A = myFunction( 4 ); // Does not work, can not deduce template arguments or something like that, (VB 2008)

Is this possible or how should I do this with a dynamic return value which size is determined by myFunction?

You'd have to specify which version of the template you want when calling the function, since the compiler cannot resolve overloads based on return value. I think the syntax may be something like

Matrix<6,Dynamic, double> A = myFunction<6,Dynamic,double>(4)