Re: Tramp counterparts for compile and GUD

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp counterparts for compile and GUD
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:16:30 +0100

Isak Johnsson <address@hidden> writes:

>>> After saving comes compiling (remotely from Emacs). I've used ssh and
>>> make as the make command. It works, but next-error can't find the
>>> source files. Do you have any ideas or solutions for this?
>>
>> I haven't tried it by myself yet, but what about
>> `compilation-search-path'?
>
> Nice! This works fine:
>
> compile-command = ssh host 'make -C /dir -k'
> compilation-search-path = ("/host:/dir")
>
> Do you know of some way to set these automatically to the
> host/directory of the current buffer?

Local variables could be one approach (see the Emacs Info pages under
"(emacs)File Variables"). Here you have the disadvantage that the
settings are not evaluated.

Another approach could be adding a function to `find-file-hooks' which
expands `compilation-search-path' by the (Tramp) directory name of the
loaded file, if it makes sense.