Upgrading Debian causing login-trouble with 2.0.28

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo
Subject: Upgrading Debian causing login-trouble with 2.0.28
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:35:35 +0100

Hello World!

Sorry for not lurking before posting, and possibly not RTFMing as
thoroughly as I perhaps could. This problem just appeared, and due to
some other unfortunate circumstances, I'm rather desparate.

I've been using TRAMP for some time with the stable Debian Woody distro.
The version in Woody was simply 20020218-2, which doesn't tell me a
lot, but hopefully it tells you more... :-) I'm using emacs 20.7.2

I upgraded to sid a few weeks ago, and I thought I used TRAMP since
then, but I guess I might not, because today, it didn't work as I was
used to. The version of TRAMP in sid is 2.0.28-1.

The usage syntax has apparently changed. Previously, I had things like
/[su/pooh]/, that's what I used up to recently. The new syntax seems
nice!

I used the old su method (which, if I've understood it correctly doesn't
have anything to do with the current su method), because I hadn't set
up passwordless login on the remote server. Now I have.

On the surface, what happens is that I try to log in, it apparently
does, but if I try to do something, like tab-completion, emacs "hangs".
That is, nothing is happening there for a reasonable length of time,
there are no characters in the buffer and the modeline is gone, further
the scroll bars and menu bars doesn't respond to mouseclicks.
However, I had a customization buffer open at one time, and if I hovered
the mouse over the buttons in that buffer, they were highlighted (but
did nothing when clicked on).

One of the things that happened in the beginning was that it asked me
the well-known question with the fingerprint. I found that strange, but
tried scp2 instead, and it didn't ask. Now, it doesn't ask about that
anymore regardless of what version I'm using. Don't really understand
why.

Well, I try to edit a file as my own user on a remote host called pooh,
this is the content of the *debug tramp/nil pooh* buffer:

# Opening connection at pooh using nil...
# Waiting for prompts from remote shell
# Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell

And this is the content of the  *tramp/nil pooh* buffer:
Linux pooh 2.4.22.2003-09-29.1-pooh #1 Mon Sep 29 14:00:55 CEST 2003
i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
[snip]
Last login: Sun Nov 16 22:21:35 2003 from ti100710a080-5680.bb.online.no
 [1;address@hidden:~> [0m

So... I'm logged in OK... if I continue in the minibuffer to find a
file, for example trying a tab completion, emacs "hangs" like described
above. This also happens if I try to find a local file using
su:address@hidden

However, my prompt looks slightly weird there, huh? :-)
It's set in my .bashrc to:
PS1='\[\033[1;address@hidden:\w>\[\033[0m\] '
that's to get some neat colors and stuff... :-)
I tried to set shell-prompt-pattern (because I use this on all hosts
(yellow for user accounts, red for root accounts)) and
tramp-shell-prompt-pattern, but it wasn't very successful... Nothing
changed... Besides, this wasn't a problem with the older TRAMP (at
least, it never bothered me). So I guess this might not be it.

In the interest of bandwidth conservation, I didn't send or attach the
data from the bug report, instead dumped it on my website:
http://dev.kjernsmo.net/tmp/tramp1/report
I guess it may not be relevant any of it, it's more of a simple
configuration issue, I guess...

But the question is what? Any insights you can provide would be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers,

Kjetil
--