Re: Two problems with tramp & smb

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Two problems with tramp & smb
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:38:49 +0000

Christoph Bauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    * backup files:
>        tramp tries to save the backup file (#file#) to
>        a nonexisting directory. BTW, this directory was formerly the
>        src/ subdir in the build directory of emacs. (.../emacs-21.3/src).

The Debian package has the problem that auto-save-file-name-transforms
contains that directory.  I think it's a generic Emacs problem that
just occurs during the build phase.

A workaround is to set auto-save-file-name-transforms to a correct
value.

>    * new files:
>         it is not possible to create a new file. I get just an useless
> read-only
>         buffer.

Hm.  What happens if you C-x b new-buffer RET, then type some text,
then C-x C-w /smb:address@hidden:/some/file RET?  It would be interesting
to see the *tramp/foo* buffer as well as the *debug tramp/foo* buffer
if that goes wrong.

You might have to (setq tramp-debug-buffer t) to get the *debug
tramp/foo* buffer.

Kai