Re: Two problems with tramp & smb

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Two problems with tramp & smb
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:11:22 -0600

> Christoph Bauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>    * new files:
>>         it is not possible to create a new file. I get just an useless
>> read-only
>>         buffer.
>
> I could reproduce it locally. Guess it is something due to the mapping
> of file attributes SMB reports onto UNIX ones. I'll try to fix it next
> days.
>
> A (stupid) workaround is copying an existing file to the file name to
> be created inside dired, and then to edit.

Wait, can we see command syntax?  I had a very similar problem a few
days ago.  It turned out to be address related. That is, emacs file
name syntax was being seen as an attempt to open  files on \.

Here is what I saw:

    This address:
  /smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/

Would elicit this in *Messages* buffer:

=====================
tramp: Opening connection for //address@hidden/...
tramp: Started process (smbclient -L bjpxp -U reader)
tramp: Sending password
Password:
Password:.
Password:..
Password:........
tramp: Opening connection for //address@hidden/bjpxp-c...
tramp: Started process (smbclient //bjpxp/bjpxp-c -U reader)
tramp: Sending password
Password:
Password:.
Password:..
Password:........
tramp: Fetching /smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/ to tmp file /tmp/tramp.6669px0...
tramp-smb-handle-file-local-copy: Cannot make local copy of file
`/smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/'

And from *tramp/smb bjpxp*:
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile (File not found.) opening remote file \
smb: \>

But given this address: /smb:address@hidden:/BJPXP-C/

It would work as expected.  Even though I entered bjpxp and bjpxp-c
when setting up the shares on that winXP machine, when viewed after setup
the name has been uppercased.