Re: Two problems with tramp & smb

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Two problems with tramp & smb
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:20:59 +0100

Harry Putnam <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Anything goes, of course. But I could reproduce Christoph's problem on
>> a C$ share, writing it uppercase. So I guess it is different from your
>> problem (where I still don't understand why case matters).
>
> Do you mean it should not matter?  I have limited experience with
> windows.  Does your experience tell you it should not matter what
> case the host/share are in on the windows machine?

On Windows it shouldn't matter; directory and file names are case
insensitive. It could only have changed with very recent Windows XP
patches I haven't tested yet; but I don't believe so.

On dired directory and file names are case sensitive, they must be
used as Windows reports them in the "dir" command of smbclient.

> If so, then yes it is strange since as posted it definietly fails
> when attempted in lowercase.

I still don't understand how it worked on one machine, and it didn't
on another one in your case. For debugging I would need access to both
machines. And no, that is not a request.