Why is tramp using FTP when I asked for ssh?

From: Jack Saba
Subject: Why is tramp using FTP when I asked for ssh?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:46:08 -0500

After several unsuccessful tries, I now seem to have tramp working on a Windows 2K operating system, with NTemacs 21.2.1 and tramp 2.0.38 (version 39 was not available at temporary download site ftp://ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files).

However, for some reason, tramp is unexpectedly using FTP to make the connection to our unix workstation. I am trying for one of the secure methods (I don't care which one as long as it is a secure channel).

Here are the ange-ftp and tramp sections from my .emacs file:

;;; ANGE-FTP
;;         To allow ange-ftp to make backups on remote system. Thanks to
;;         Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> for suggestion.
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(ange-ftp-make-backup-files t)
 '(baud-rate 56000)
 '(blink-cursor nil)
 '(fontset-default-styles nil)
 '(scroll-conservatively 5))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(makefile-space-face ((((class color)) nil)))
 '(paren-face-no-match ((((class color))
                         (:background "black" :foreground "red")))))

;;; TRAMP
;; address@hidden
;
;(require 'tramp)
;;
;; for debugging
(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
(setq tramp-verbose 10)
(setq tramp-auto-save-directory "c:Documents\ and\ Settings/jack/My\ Documents"
      tramp-default-method "ssh")

I am not getting any error messages. There is no tramp debug buffer. The message buffer contains:

Password for address@hidden: .
Password for address@hidden: ..
Password for address@hidden: ........
Opening FTP connection to nost...done